Ever since I fell in love with making clay figurines in July starting with my turtle (see Clay Creations), I wanted to improve my craft and do more complicated sculptures. For my most recent batch, I attempted to make a Bobby Head 🙂 What’s that? Well, a couple of years ago, my friend gave me a Bobby Jack plush toy that I just came to love dearly. I decided to make a little bobble head figurine of Bobby and call it a Bobby Head.
I have to admit that the journey wasn’t completely smooth. The vision of what I wanted to mold was all in my head and I was ready for action, knowing that I may face challenges. I first started off by molding Bobby’s head and then adding the ears and cheeks. Unlike drawing or photography, you really need to understand ever angle of the subject/object to capture the 3-D form accurately. I worked on it late at night and when I finally got it 90% complete, I noticed that it was a little uneven on the bottom. In attempts to make it 100% perfect, I added some more clay. Unfortunately, due to the nature of clay, if you change one area, there is a very high chance that another area would be affected. When you fix the other affected area, it will affect another area and so forth. Anyhow, by trying to make it 100% perfect, I messed up my entire bobby head. After 1.5 hours, I was just exhausted and called it a night. I was so discouraged that I had to send a text to my boyfriend and close friend to vent lol, and of course a tweet about the irony of perfection.
Alas, I did not give up. I came back to it another day and started from scratch. This time it was a little easier since I was familiar with the form. The head wasn’t perfect, but this time I settled for that 🙂 and continued with the body. After 1.5 hours, the sculpture was complete and actually bobbles. What do you think?
With my leftover clay, I decided to make a Linny (the guinea pig from Wonder Pets) as well. I didn’t have that much brown, so I only molded her head. No worries, I went for a pencil decoration and added her cape as well. It turned out really adorable. I just wished I made her cheeks more wide to match the actual stuffed animal.
Next, my brother wanted me to make a Stitch figurine. Since I wanted to save my blue clay for a beaded necklace, I decided to make him a Leroy instead. The red clay was difficult to mold because it was so soft and would mush together or stick to other colors. It was a real hassle. I think it turned out well, except that one of his eyes was rotated incorrectly, so when I actually drew in the eyes, he didn’t look as “smart” 🙂
After making all these figurines (with an average of 1.5 hours a piece), I decided to make something simple, clay beads. I picked my favorite colors: light blue, blue, and a whitish silver. It looked awesome. I’ll model them in a later post 🙂
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the pieces. My next clay projects will include a purple squirrel and a glowing Jack-O-Lantern. Until then, Bobby, Stitch and Linny would like to say ta-ta!
- Simple Clay Doll (mummylovestea.wordpress.com)
- Clay Play! (theblumen-artgallery.com)
- #SHINHWA – Cute Clay Dolls (ashinhwaaday.wordpress.com)
- Clay Creations (jenuineinspiration.wordpress.com)